Microsoft Outlook stores all your email information in PST (Personal Storage Table) file format. Microsoft Outlook uses this file format to store all Outlook data including emails, calendar, contacts, notes, journals and any other information.
The convenience of saving data in this format is that, it allows the easy transfer of data files between different computers and facilitates easy backing up of your emails. However, you may end up having some problems if these PST files get corrupted or damaged. That is why Microsoft has included an Outlook repair tool called “Outlook Inbox Repair” tool or “Scanpst.exe” tool, intended to fix damaged .PST files
Repairing corrupted .PST files in Outlook 2007
- Before you start the repair process, be sure your Outlook 2007 is not open.
- Go to Start menu and click on Computer.
- Locate the “C:” drive and double-click to open it.
- Double-click Program files to open the folder.
- Inside Program files, you can find the folder for Microsoft Office. Open this folder and double-click Office 2012.
- Locate the file named Scanpst.exe and double-click to launch the repair tool.
- When the repair tool window opens, click on Browse and select the corrupted PST file.
- Once you have selected the PST file to repair, click Start. This will start the repair process.
- This tool will find the errors and list them. Click Repair button to fix those errors.
- After the repair process is complete, exit the repair tool.
- Now re-launch the Microsoft Outlook 2007 program. Some might have multiple Outlook profiles. Be sure to select the profile with the damaged PST file.
- From the menu bar at the top of the screen, click Go and then click Folder List.
- Under the Folder List menu, you can find Recovered Personal Folders. Click it to expand to find the Lost and Found folder.
- From the Lost and Found folder, select the entire contents and drag it to the correct location in the folder list. After you have restored all the lost files, you may delete the Recovered Personal Folders folder.
Now that you have fixed problems with the corrupted PST file, you should be able to send and receive emails without any problem. There are various Outlook repair steps for different problems. Many common Outlook issues can be solved if you follow these simple troubleshooting steps.
You may find many useful tips and tricks in the Outlook Help menu that can make your Outlook experience more enjoyable.